Finding a plastic surgeon to do your procedure can be a tough thing. First of all, the initial inertia to get up and find a surgeon to correct something in itself is difficult. It requires the patient to:
- Understand that there is something that you want corrected
- Accept the fact that seeing someone to get information is hard from a self-esteem standpoint
- It’s scary to go see a surgeon
- It’s scary to think about potential procedures and complications
All of this is important. Now, since you have at least thought about these things, let’s talk about finding the right surgeon for you. There are basic information facts that you need to know as you short list your surgeon.
- Board certification status
- What does you surgeon specialize in? If 90% of the pictures on your surgeon’s website are of breast augmentation, your surgeon probably specializes in breast augmentation.
- Look at physician directories such as RealSelf. What do other consumers say about your surgeon?
Those are probably some of the basic things you should look at. Once you have done that, you can short list a few surgeons and then make consultation appointments. The consultation is the most important part of the process. For just a second, forget about the procedure. Also, forget about the price. Meet your surgeon. Meet your surgeon’s staff. Do you click? Do you feel like there is the basis of a relationship here. Remember…your surgeon will be your surgeon through good times, and not so good times…like a marriage. So you really need to feel like there is a connection. Once you have gone through this process, and selected your surgeon, NOW look at the price. If you feel that the price is out of your affordability index, have a frank conversation with your surgeon or surgeon’s coordinator about it. Let them know what you can afford, and what your expectations. The probability is that you and your surgeon will probably find some happy ground in the middle where you can both be happy. DO NOT BASE THE CHOICE OF SURGEON ON PRICE OF THE PROCEDURE. Just like everything else, you get what you pay for.
As a board certified surgeon, and as a patient advocate, I have outlined some of thoughts. I go through the same decision making process when I need to find a surgeon or doctor for myself.
Good luck in your search.
Please contact us at (281) 557-3223 or Request a consultation online with the rock star surgeon himself!