Rhinoplasty, also known as a nose job, is a surgical procedure that is used to change the shape of the nose. Rhinoplasty is ranked as one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the United States, with over 350,000 rhinoplasties performed in 2020. But it’s important to remember that, like all surgical procedures, rhinoplasty takes time to recover from – even when performed by a skilled and experienced facial plastic surgeon like Dr. Athré.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty, it’s important to have realistic expectations about the procedure and the recovery process. Here’s what you need to know about the timeline for rhinoplasty results.
Set the Right Expectations
While it is normal to feel eager about seeing your results immediately, it is important to consider that rhinoplasty recovery takes place over a gradual time period. Here is what typically happens in the weeks following nose surgery:
- Immediately after Surgery
- After your surgery, you will have a splint in place to support your nose and help it heal in the correct position. You will also have some nose tip swelling after your rhinoplasty, and bruising around your eyes, which is normal and should subside over the next week or so.
- One to Two Weeks after Surgery
- At your first post-op appointment, Dr. Athré will remove your splint and you will be able to see your new nose for the first time. However, it’s important to remember that your nose will still be swollen at this point and its appearance will continue to change as the swelling goes down.
- One Month after Surgery
- By one month post-op, most of the swelling should have subsided and you will have a good idea of your final results. However, the nose will continue to refine itself for up to a year after surgery.
- One Year after Surgery
- One year after surgery, you can expect to see your final results. Of course, your nose will continue to age along with the rest of your face, but the changes will be subtle and your overall results should be long-lasting.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty, it’s important to consult with a board-certified facial plastic surgeon to discuss your goals and expectations. Dr. Athré will be able to give you a more specific timeline for your individual case.
Contact Athré Facial Plastics
Are you interested in refreshing your skin with intense pulsed light therapy? Contact us at Athré Facial Plastics today and schedule a consultation!